GE Power & Water’s Distributed Power portfolio of innovative solutions gives businesses and communities around the world the ability to generate reliable and efficient power at or near the point of use, at anytime–on the grid or off it. Our product portfolio features aeroderivative gas turbines, Jenbacher gas engines, and Waukesha gas engines ranging from 100 kW-100 MW.
Distributed Power provides a wide range of customers from industrial businesses and developing communities to government agencies managing disaster relief and other emergency power situations – with the ability to generate reliable, sustainable power whenever and wherever it is needed.
The DP engineering team at the EDC is one of two primary European offices and covers all aspects of the product life cycle from new product sales through detailed design all the way to services engineering, including an array of unique and specialized roles.
Specifically the organization comprises of the following teams:
- Applications Engineering holds full technical ownership of the new unit sales process for Aeroderivative gas turbines in the EMEA region including scope definition, customer meetings and cost budgeting
- Design & Development Engineering – our largest team is responsible for engineering functions for both Jenbacher gas engines and aeroderivative gas turbine packaging including acoustics, CFD and structural, reciprocating engine design, fuels applications engineering, controls engineering, mechanical & electrical package design and manufacturing support
- Gas Turbines – a sister organization to the Aviation PEC, the gas turbines team designs, analyzes and develops aeroderivative engine components for our LM2500, LM6000 and LMS100 product lines. Roles include mechanical design product definition and structural analysis
- Product Fulfillment Engineering is focused on delivery of project specific design and documentation including support of manufacturing operations in Budapest for TM2500, LM2500 and LM6000 aeroderivative gas turbines as well with performance guarantees estimation in ITO phase
- Product Service Engineering – in the region for the region. PSE covers all aspects of gas turbine customers operational experience, focused on resolving fleet and customer issues, performing investigations when things go awry as well as ensuring technical excellence in the Installation & Commissioning phase of projects
- Reliability Center of Excellence analyzes various sources of data with the aim of providing multiple organizations with valuable insights on the reliability and performance of our fielded units across Jenbacher and Gas Turbine fleets
Operating at EDC since 2007, the team had been focused mainly on Heavy Duty Gas Turbines. Since the beginning of 2016, after the opening of Gas Turbine Center, some serious changes have occurred and the growth of the team really sped up. Not only the HD part grew, but also Aeroderivative Gas Turbines joined, becoming one of the two main focuses.
Engineers working at Gas Power Systems and Power Services businesses have a unique opportunity to be gathered around a very special place – Gas Turbine Center. The modern facility allows for the synergy of both design and operating teams in one place. The state-of-the-art equipment of the GT Center allows simulation of gas turbines’ work, training service activities, testing designed components and investigating virtually every aspect of the whole product life-cycle onsite.
The Gas Turbine Center team operates in the two main areas: heavy duty and Aeroderivative gas turbines. Heavy duty units supply whole agglomerations with megawatts of energy. Aeroderivatives serve in places that are in need of quicker-to-set and more accessible energy sources, though not that much powerful. In both areas EDC engineers cover the whole process, from product definition, new product implementation, through service, and modification and upgrade of existing power plants.
Gas Turbine Center, with its gas turbine simulator, is also a training center dedicated to client and sales support. It enables development of inspection techniques, supports cooperation with technical universities and science institutes, and can be a perfect base for technical conferences and seminars. What’s more, it is a center of 3D print and innovation for energy products. The multidisciplinary character of the facility allows for the full development of power supplies. Therefore it is the true center of energy excellence.
- 08/21/2017Predix 2.0 Hackathon is coming on October 13th – don’t miss it On Friday, October 13th, first Predix 2.0 Hackathon will take place in Poland. This event, organized by Engineering Design Center, will be a part of the 8th Night at the Institute of Aviation in Warsaw. Teams comprised of software and hardware developers will spend 24 hours working on the best solution to a challenge related to the aviation industry and based on Predix software platform (read more about Predix). Drinking cups of coffee and eat...more >>
- 07/14/2017Over 100 engineers attended [email protected] and FFT trainings at EDC! From Monday, July 10th to Thursday, July 13th Engineering Design Center hosted two trainings – [email protected] and Fundamentals for Technologists. Over 100 engineers from all over the world and various GE businesses (Aviation, Healthcare, Oil & Gas, Power, Energy Connections, Current & Global Research Center) had a chance to tour EDC laboratories and listen to EDC speeches led by EDC Managers. FFT (Fundamentals for Technologists) T...more >>
- 05/29/2017Passport 20 Inlet – Bird Strike Certification Test at EDC A big day for EDC just took place on May 24th, 2017, after over 28 months of preparation. Together with Middle River Aircraft Systems (US, Baltimore) EDC (GE Aviation Systems + Warsaw Institute of Aviation) successfully accomplished the first Bird Strike Certification Test lunched at EDC. This is a great achievement and a huge milestone proving that EDC is fully capable of executing such tests, starting from the very beginning (concept) through d...more >>
- 05/19/2017Balancing the Equation – 23 attendees completed EDC Academy Since April 1st, through 8th, 22nd and finally May 13th twenty-three female students of technical faculties on their 3-5 year of study, as well as fresh graduates of such, had a chance to attend EDC Academy – a series of four technical and soft skills training sessions organized by EDC. It was a great opportunity to confront the theory gained at university with the view of real-life engineering work. All four meetings took place at the Engineerin...more >>
- 05/15/2017EDC and MEiL talk about the common future and cooperation On May 11th representatives of Engineering Design Center and the Faculty of Power and Aeronautical Engineering (MEiL) of the Warsaw University of Technology met together on the seminar “From Science to Implementation” organized jointly by both institutions. The event took place at the Institute of Heat Engineering of the Warsaw University of Technology. The seminar was opened by prof. Janusz Frączek (Dean of the Faculty of Power and Aeronautic...more >>