GE Power & Water’s Distributed Power portfolio of innovative solutions gives businesses and communities around the world the ability to generate reliable and efficient power at or near the point of use, at anytime–on the grid or off it. Our product portfolio features aeroderivative gas turbines, Jenbacher gas engines, and Waukesha gas engines ranging from 100 kW-100 MW.
Distributed Power provides a wide range of customers from industrial businesses and developing communities to government agencies managing disaster relief and other emergency power situations – with the ability to generate reliable, sustainable power whenever and wherever it is needed.
The DP engineering team at the EDC is one of two primary European offices and covers all aspects of the product life cycle from new product sales through detailed design all the way to services engineering, including an array of unique and specialized roles.
Specifically the organization comprises of the following teams:
- Applications Engineering holds full technical ownership of the new unit sales process for Aeroderivative gas turbines in the EMEA region including scope definition, customer meetings and cost budgeting
- Design & Development Engineering – our largest team is responsible for engineering functions for both Jenbacher gas engines and aeroderivative gas turbine packaging including acoustics, CFD and structural, reciprocating engine design, fuels applications engineering, controls engineering, mechanical & electrical package design and manufacturing support
- Gas Turbines – a sister organization to the Aviation PEC, the gas turbines team designs, analyzes and develops aeroderivative engine components for our LM2500, LM6000 and LMS100 product lines. Roles include mechanical design product definition and structural analysis
- Product Fulfillment Engineering is focused on delivery of project specific design and documentation including support of manufacturing operations in Budapest for TM2500, LM2500 and LM6000 aeroderivative gas turbines as well with performance guarantees estimation in ITO phase
- Product Service Engineering – in the region for the region. PSE covers all aspects of gas turbine customers operational experience, focused on resolving fleet and customer issues, performing investigations when things go awry as well as ensuring technical excellence in the Installation & Commissioning phase of projects
- Reliability Center of Excellence analyzes various sources of data with the aim of providing multiple organizations with valuable insights on the reliability and performance of our fielded units across Jenbacher and Gas Turbine fleets
Operating at EDC since 2007, the team had been focused mainly on Heavy Duty Gas Turbines. Since the beginning of 2016, after the opening of Gas Turbine Center, some serious changes have occurred and the growth of the team really sped up. Not only the HD part grew, but also Aeroderivative Gas Turbines joined, becoming one of the two main focuses.
Engineers working at Gas Power Systems and Power Services businesses have a unique opportunity to be gathered around a very special place – Gas Turbine Center. The modern facility allows for the synergy of both design and operating teams in one place. The state-of-the-art equipment of the GT Center allows simulation of gas turbines’ work, training service activities, testing designed components and investigating virtually every aspect of the whole product life-cycle onsite.
The Gas Turbine Center team operates in the two main areas: heavy duty and Aeroderivative gas turbines. Heavy duty units supply whole agglomerations with megawatts of energy. Aeroderivatives serve in places that are in need of quicker-to-set and more accessible energy sources, though not that much powerful. In both areas EDC engineers cover the whole process, from product definition, new product implementation, through service, and modification and upgrade of existing power plants.
Gas Turbine Center, with its gas turbine simulator, is also a training center dedicated to client and sales support. It enables development of inspection techniques, supports cooperation with technical universities and science institutes, and can be a perfect base for technical conferences and seminars. What’s more, it is a center of 3D print and innovation for energy products. The multidisciplinary character of the facility allows for the full development of power supplies. Therefore it is the true center of energy excellence.
- 02/24/2017Power and Energy Connections engineers celebrate Science & Technology Week 2017 Through the whole week Power and Energy Connections teams at EDC have attended the Science & Technology Week. The agenda was packed with interesting technical events, some of which were open to all EDC employees. In addition, on Wednesday, February 22nd the Distributed Power team met to celebrate the last year's most outstanding achievements and to award the best engineers during an Engineering Recognition Day. One of the leading topics of...more >>
- 02/03/2017EDC Engineer wins the bronze at 34th FAI World Gliding Championships Łukasz Grabowski from GE Aviation at EDC took the 3rd place at 34th FAI World Gliding Championships, in 15 meter class gliders. The competition was held in Benalla, Australia from January 8th till 22nd. Despite the demanding competition of other 37 participants from 21 countries, Łukasz managed to stand on the podium, winning the bronze. The weather allowed for 6 flying days, the races ranged up to 550 kilometers. “At the very end of...more >>
- 01/26/2017Polish Government and GE inaugurate 25 years of GE in Poland today at EDC On January 26th Engineering Design Center hosted a meeting between Mateusz Morawiecki, Polish Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Finance and Development and John G. Rice, Vice Chairman of GE. The highlight of the meeting was the official signing of “The Memorandum of Understanding” between the Polish Government and GE which is an agreement on strategic cooperation in the fields of energy and aviation. The signing acts as a confirmation of will of...more >>
- 01/26/2017Gas Turbine Center celebrates its 1st anniversary during GE Power Industry and Science Summit On January 24th GE Power at EDC organized the Industry and Science Summit to celebrate the 1st anniversary of the Gas Turbine Center. The event also coincided with the 10th anniversary of GE Power’s presence at EDC, and 25 years of GE in Poland. The conference gathered many distinguished guests from GE, its customers and the science world. After the short introduction made by Witold Wiśniowski (Director of the Institute of Aviation) and Marian...more >>
- 01/16/201710th Conference Fatigue of Aircraft Structures open for EDC engineers EDC engineers attended the 10th Conference Fatigue of Aircraft Structures, organized on May 12-13th by the Institute of Aviation’s Materials and Structures Research Center. The topics raised at the conference were very interesting for our engineers, especially those dealing with materials and structures issues on the daily basis. The topics of the conference covered most of the matters related to fatigue of materials and aircraft structures, e...more >>